In the healthcare industry, medical records serve two basic purposes. They keep a history of a patient’s treatment and they are used to bill insurance companies for reimbursement. It goes without saying that medical records must be accurate and accessible and this is the job of a medical record technician (also known as a health information system technician).
It is vitally important to be informed!
Be sure to request information from more than one school in order to compare which program is best for you.
Popular Schools — Or Choose A State —>
- Online bachelor's and associate level Computer Information Science programs are available.
- Experienced professionals provide hands-on instruction in subjects such as internet security, network administration, and IT support.
- Courses cover many relevant topics, including computer hardware and software, network operating systems, and more.
- Students who have graduated high school in or before 2015 are eligible to apply.
- Computer Information Science (Associate's)
- Choose from over 200 online undergraduate and graduate programs designed to take you where you want to go.
- Online tuition rates at SNHU are frozen at 2012 levels for the fifth consecutive year.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- IMBA - Healthcare Management
- MBA with concentration in Healthcare Informatics
- MBA with concentration in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Management
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Electronic Health Records - Associate of Occupational Science
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Health Information Management - Associate's
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Health Information Management
- Medical Office Administration
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- And more...
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Billing & Coding Specialist, Associates Degree
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
- IMBA - Healthcare Informatics
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), medical records and health information technicians can realize a median salary of $32,350 per year and they expect that the career field will grow 21% through 2020 which is faster than average. The fast growth is due to factors such as an aging Baby Boomer population and changes in the delivery of healthcare services as prescribed by the Affordable Care Act (also known as Obamacare).
Since all health information on a patient is stored electronically these days, the medical record technician’s primary responsibility is to make sure that the patient data is entered. The technician will probably use computer screens generated from healthcare software applications to enter the data or it may be submitted electronically by employer groups during annual enrollment.
After the information is in the system, the next responsibility of the medical records technician is to ensure that it is secure, kept confidential, and accessible. Security, when it comes to patient information, has both physical and electronic aspects. Access must be controlled into areas where medical records technicians work in addition to protection of the information through passwords as well as levels of access within the software to interface with databases.
Medical records technicians also fill medical coder positions where they configure patient information in a format required for healthcare claims reimbursement by insurance companies. They apply codes to claim information that are universally recognized such as the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) code set and the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) code set.
Those desiring to enter this field can do so with a high school education however employers desire those with at least an associate degree or certificate in health information technology. This is due to the modern complexity of health information systems and to the fact that practically every operation in a healthcare facility or insurance company is centered on the accuracy and accessibility of patient data.
This field does not involve direct patient care. Medical records technicians typically work in an office environment within hospitals, physician’s offices, and specialty care facilities such as nursing homes. They almost always work full time during normal business hours although in 24-hour operations such as hospitals they may be called to do shift work if required.
If you are a technical and analytical type of person interested in a career in the healthcare industry, the field of medical records and health information technicians might be right for you. Check out the educational opportunities to open the door to this field today.
 Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition, Medical Records and Health Information Technicians, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-records-and-health-information-technicians.htm.
Image Source: Forbes.com